Medical schools and teaching hospitals are complex organizations. The Handbook of Academic Medicine: How Medical Schools and Teaching Hospitals Work explains what medical schools and teaching hospitals are, how they work and interrelate, how they educate medical students and residents, how they engage in patient care and research, and what prominent issues they face. The Handbook is a resource on the fundamentals of academic medicine and is essential reading for medical school and teaching hospital leaders, governing board members, university officials, members of the media, national and state legislators and staff members, Federal agency staff, and anyone who wants to know more about medical schools and teaching hospitals.
You will gain a deeper understanding of:
- How medical schools and teaching hospitals are structured and interrelate
- The financing mechanisms in place for medical schools and teaching hospitals
- The social contract of academic biomedical research
- How U.S. medical schools have been preparing for the impending shortage of 90,000 doctors by 2020
- The significant role of academic medicine in bringing the latest treatments, technologies and life saving care to patients
- And much more.
This edition is available for purchase in print or interactive PDF formats.
$40 (AAMC members/nonprofits/medical students and residents)
$75 (nonmembers/for-profit companies)
Purchasing in bulk? Preferred pricing is available through our bulk order process.
For AAMC member institutions, the member price is reflected in the shopping cart after you log in. Nonprofits, medical students and residents: please call 202-828-0416 or email email@example.com