AAMC Members: Get this report in PDF format for FREE when you click Add to Cart and sign in to your AAMC account.
Academic Medical Centers (AMCs) that will thrive in the dynamic and demanding health care environment are the ones that will transform into academic health systems focused on improving health as well as delivering health care.
AMCs must transform themselves to decrease the total cost of care, introduce innovative models of care, increase integration across the continuum of care, and right-size their missions to achieve strategic and fiscal sustainability.
Leaders that recognize that every aspect of AMCs will be transformed in the next decade are preparing now for a radically different
This landmark report in the Future of Academic Medicine Series focuses on the prototypes of the next-generation systems that are emerging today, and presents guidelines and leadership principles for creating sustainable models for the future. Developed by the AAMC Advisory Panel on Health Care, the purpose of this report is to promote useful discussion among these leaders, and inspire them to begin the challenging work of meaningful change.
- Lessons and approaches shared by 13 organizations that have implemented academic health systems of care
- 4 options for AMCs in rapidly consolidating markets
- Cultural challenges to transforming your institution as a system of health care
- 5 key leadership principles that the leaders and their teams need to uphold
- Characteristics of an evolved relationship between a growing and expanding clinical system and its parent university
- New positions being created or enhanced to help transform an academic medical center into a system
- Examples of the leading approaches to measuring clinical results to use in establishing a path to improvement
- The necessary components of full transparency that the academic health system of the future should have in place
- Why leaders of AMCs must boldly and forcefully restructure their operating models, and what this entails
- 5 characteristics of population health management – a completely new paradigm for AMCs
- Tips on how to assess how strong your organization’s “hand” is based on the cards you hold
- 8 critical questions for all leaders of AHCs and universities to ask themselves, as a starting point on the path to transforming the organization
This report includes a self-assessment to help you evaluate your organization’s current strengths and weaknesses in relation to its readiness for transformation. You also get the “Panel Report Discussion Questions for AMC Leaders,” which contains critical questions for AMC leaders charged with transforming their organizations for the future.
Advancing the Academic Health System for the Future is available as a FREE download for AAMC members. Please click "Add to Cart" and sign in to your AAMC account to get this report for free.