Department chairs are the leadership “glue” that binds complex academic medical centers together. They need the competencies, skills, and approaches that will harness the intelligence, creativity, and commitment of faculty, students, residents and peers. Forward-thinking institutions are realizing that success depends on building relationships based on shared values and purpose.
Leading, part of the AAMC Successful Medical School Department Chair Series, is required reading for current and prospective medical school department chairs, deans and associate deans, and others who work with chairs.
In Leading, you discover:
- Good practices for developing leadership competencies and executing your responsibilities and expectations as chair in an effective and successful manner
- Differing expectations of deans; hospital and health system CEOs; faculty members
- How to avoid the most common source of leadership failure in tackling adaptive challenges
- Three critical characteristics of medical schools and academic health systems that you should embrace – and that have profound and important implications for being a department chair
- Why the very notion of leadership must pivot away from leader-as-knower and leader-as-provider, to leader-as-inquirer, leader-as-listener, and leader-as-influencer
- The challenges that chairs face leading from the“middle” in an industry in transition
- Examples of approaches that medical schools have adopted in defining roles and responsibilities of basic science and clinical department chairs
- Core characteristics of a successful department chair
- How to evaluate a chair position that you may be considering
- What issues to explore to be a well-informed candidate for a chair position
- More than 23 questions you should get answers to when you meet with the dean
- Advice for incumbent chairs, including a self-assessment worksheet and tools for self-reflection
- And much, much more.
You will also have access to valuable online supplemental tools and resources when you purchase this publication (instructions are provided in the publication).
Leading is a completely updated and revised publication in the AAMC Successful Medical School Department Chair Series. It tackles leadership issues and outlines the competencies, skills, and approaches that medical school department chairs need to succeed.
ISBN: 978-1577541516 (ePub)
ISBN: 978-1577541523 (Kindle)
ISBN: 978-1577541509 (Print edition)